Festive colloquium: 5G-Industry Campus Europe: Three years of innovations for Industry 4.0
The 5G-Industry Campus Europe, Europe's largest 5G testbed for manufacturing, is celebrating its third anniversary. The German Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV) as the funding body, the VDI as the project sponsor, and the Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT invite to a colloquium in Aachen on November 29, 2022 to mark the three-year anniversary.Copyright: © Fraunhofer IPT
"Creating the 5G-manufacturing ecosystem" is the motto of the 5G-Industry Campus Europe, one of Germany's six 5G model regions, on the Melaten campus of RWTH Aachen University. Here, the Fraunhofer IPT as coordinator operates a private 5G research network with equipment from the Swedish mobile communications equipment supplier Ericsson and, together with its partners at RWTH Aachen University and high-tech companies, develops concepts and application-ready industrial solutions for networked, adaptive production.
The results of three years of development work and research are now being presented by the partners of the 5G-Industry Campus Europe in a one-day celebratory colloquium: in addition to six expert presentations by speakers from the BMDV, RWTH Aachen University, the 5G Alliance for Connected Industries and Automation of ZVEI e.V. (5G-ACIA), the Fraunhofer IPT and Ericsson, the event program also includes an extensive tour of the 5G-Industry Campus Europe with numerous demonstrations from the project. As example applications, the institutes will showcase 5G in the areas of sensor technology, robotics, logistics, cross-site production chains, and much more.
Interested company representatives with an interest in 5G technology are cordially invited by the organizers to join the colloquium and find out more on-site at the Aachen campus. Registration is possible until November 25 via the event website https://s.fhg.de/festkolloquium-5G-ICE.
Research with 5G: Pioneering work for networked, adaptive production
Within a project duration of only three years, the 5G-Industry Campus Europe has developed into an institution with charisma in Europe, where researchers can explore 5G in all facets of production, from manufacturing to assembly and logistics, in close cooperation with industry. The 5G-Industry Campus Europe is doing important pioneering work here and offers a state-of-the-art infrastructure for research in Aachen and for all manufacturing companies that want to explore the possibilities of 5G.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT
- Institute for Industrial Management FIR of RWTH Aachen University
- Laboratory for Machine Tools and Production Engineering (WZL) of RWTH Aachen University
- IT Center of RWTH Aachen University
The research project "5G-Industry Campus Europe" was funded by the German Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV) for three years (funding code: VB5GICEIPT).
Program of the Festive Colloquium
- 10:00 a.m.: Greeting from RWTH Aachen University: Prof. Dr. Ulrich Rüdiger, Prof. Dr. Robert Schmitt, Rheinisch Westfälische Technische Hochschule (RWTH), Aachen
- 10:05 a.m.: Greeting from the Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV): Ministerialdirigentin Gertrud Husch, Head of Department Digital Connectivity.
- 10:15 a.m.: 5G model region: 5G-Industry Campus Europe: Niels König, Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT
- 10:35 a.m.: Joint innovation in Aachen: Stefan Koetz, Ericsson
- 10:55 a.m.: 5G-Industry Campus Europe: the most advanced infrastructure for campus networks: Jan-Peter Meyer-Kahlen, Ericsson
- 11:10 a.m.: 5G ecosystem in Germany: Andreas Müller, 5G Alliance for Connected Industries and Automation (5G-ACIA)
- 11:30 a.m.: 5G - driver for sustainable production?: Prof. Dr. Robert Schmitt, Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT
- 11:50 a.m.: Lunch and networking
- 12:50 p.m.: Tour of the application fields at the 5G-Industry Campus Europe
- 14:50: Project marketplace with poster session
- 15:50: Outlook on 6G: Dr. Michael Meyer, Ericsson
- 16:15: Farewell: Niels König, Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT